Reading: Japan in Historical Context
- Embracing Defeat, John Dower (Introduction, pp. 19-30)\
- Precarious Japan, Anne Allison (Chapter 2: From Lifelong to Liquid Japan)
- Lecture: Japanese National Identity in Historical Context
- Note: This is a narrated PowerPoint lecture (~25 minutes long).
- Download the file.
- Open it in Microsoft PowerPoint.
- "Play" the slideshow from the beginning. You should hear the audio, and the slides should advance on their own.
- If you have any issues with this, email Kristi as soon as possible)
Due August 7: Write a short reflection (300-500 words approx) on the prompt below:
Thinking about the readings and lecture, what do you find to be the most interesting aspects of Japanese national narratives through history? (You can pick one aspect or address several.) Can you draw any parallels or contrasts between shifts in Japanese national identity and developments in the US or other countries?