Daily Diary - August 26-27 (Alison)

"The Beginning"
Aug 26-27

I had arrived a few days earlier on the 24th of August, to stay with my one relative who lives in Japan (and his family) for a few days.  My flight from SFO (San Francisco) to NRT (Narita) was fairly smooth and I was able to sleep for a few hours, which rarely happens. Before I knew it, I was through customs and on the Narita Express headed to Yokohama.  I stayed one night in a hotel a few train stops from where he lives (Shin-Yokohama),



 and the next day (8/25) I went to an Onsen outside of the city.  On Saturday the 26th, we were served traditional Japanese breakfast in our room and it was very good despite not being able to recognize half of what was on the table.  We went for a dip in the river next to the Onsen and grabbed a quick bite to eat before heading back into Tokyo.  

 


By the time we returned, it was time to eat dinner again, this time close my Uncle’s apartment and at his favorite Italian restaurant, where he’s become close friends with the chef and his wife (since ~7-8 years ago).  On Sunday the 27th, I woke up around 9 AM for a haircut appointment in Yokohama.  I chopped off about 7 inches (way too hot in Japan to have long hair) thinned it out and grabbed lunch with my relatives.  
                    
 

Then they drove me to the Olympic National Youth Center, where we’re staying for the duration of the program.  The campus (? Not sure what to call it exactly) was much, MUCH larger than I had imagined.  There are multiple “dorm” style buildings, cafes and restaurants, a gym and large cafeterias as well.  Our program coordinator Miki said that the NYC can host up to around ~2,000 people at one time.  As my Aunt and I walked through trying to find the D building, the campus was bustling with students and adults alike.  I was one of the first 4 students to arrive, along with Rhyan, Angela and Alvin.  Us three girls left with Miki to the 6th (top) floor of the “A” dorm where we are going to be living for the next three weeks.  Each of us has a small room (with A/C!!), a shared common area and a communal style bathroom. 

  
                   (view from the common room!)

There are 9 girls in the group which worked well with the way the dorms normally function – there are 10 individual rooms per common area, and each common area is sanctioned off with their own doors as well.  To end the night, Angela, Yu Won and I attempted to get some dinner together close to the NYC.  We walked into a ton katsu place and were faced with a slight problem – no pictures!!  Angela and I tried to use broken Japanese to finally place an order and eventually returned to our rooms to rest up for the first official day of the program the following day.  Despite finding out that there is no wifi on the NYC campus (which is why this post is slightly late :( ), the first few days of the program went fairly smoothly and I'm excited for what's to come!


-Alison

No comments:

Post a Comment